Enjoy the rich history of Shumen by visiting one of our many landmarks. No matter what you are in the mood for – an educational afternoon or a walk in nature you will be able to pick a destination. We wish you the best of time in our city.
The Monument to 1300 Years of Bulgaria, also known as the Founders of the Bulgarian State Monument, is a large monument built on a plateau above the city of Shumen, Bulgaria. It was built in 1981 to commemorate the 1300th anniversary of the First Bulgarian Empire.The monument is built in concrete in a Cubist style, and designed by Bulgarian sculptors Krum Damyanov and Ivan Slavov. It is reached by a processional concrete stairway from Shumen, or by road. It stands at a height of 450 m above sea level and can be seen from 30 km away.
The Shumen fortress is an archaeological site overlooking the city of Shumen in north-eastern Bulgaria.It is an ancient fortress with historical links to a village nearby traced to early Iron Age and later owned by the Thracians in the 5th century BC. Then, from 2nd to 4th centuries AD, it was controlled by the Romans who built towers and walls, and it was refurbished by the Byzantines as their garrison town. Shumen thrived in the Middle Ages as an important stronghold of the Bulgarian Empire. In 1444 the fort was destroyed by the Ottomans after their victory in the Battle of Varna over a Christian army under Władysław III of Poland. The fortress remained deserted ever since.
The fortress is built over a hill which gives a commanding view of the Shumen city. It is located at a distance of 5.5 kilometres (3.4 mi) from the Shumen city mosque. It is located within the Shumen Plateau Nature Park. From the entrance of the fortress, about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) away is the “Creators of the Bulgarian State” Monument erected in 1981 during the communist regime to commemorate the 1300th anniversary of the Bulgarian state. An information center is 300 metres (980 ft) away from this monument and a 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) track from here leads to the fortress.
The first museum collection in Shumen was displayed in the Man’s High-school in 1857 by Sava Dobroplodni a teacher and public figure from the period of the Bulgarian National Revival.
Today the museum is a cultural and scientific institute, with nine departments and a scientific research group. It preserves more than 150 000 records of the past from the chalcolithic period up to the present days, 15 000 of which are displayed in the eight exhibition halls.
The Sherif Halil Pasha Mosque,, more commonly known as the Tombul (or Tumbul) Mosque, located in Shumen, is the largest mosque in Bulgaria and one of the largest on the Balkan. Build between 1740 and 1744, the mosque was initially located in the north-eastern Bulgarian (then Ottoman) town’s centre, but is now in Shumen’s south-west parts as the town centre moved as a result of the enlargement of the town. The mosque’s name comes from the shape of its dome.The mosque and the associated buildings is the largest in Bulgaria and after the Soultan Selim Mosque in the Turkish town of Odrin (Edirne) it is the second largest on the Balkan peninsula. The Tombul Mosque is considered to be a cultural monument of national importance. The mosque’s complex consists of a main edifice (a prayer hall), a yard and a twelve-room extension (a boarding house of the madrasa). The main edifice is in its fundamental part a square, then becomes an octagon passing to a circle in the middle part, and is topped by a spherical dome that is 25 m above ground. The interior has mural paintings of vegetable life and geometric figures and inscriptions of Arabic, phrases from the Qur’an. The yard is known for the arches in front of the twelve rooms that surround it and the minaret is 40 m high.
Pliska is the name of both the first capital of the First Bulgarian Empire and a small town situated 20 km Northeast of the provincial capital Shumen. The ruins of the city of Pliska lie 3 km north of the modern village of Pliska. The site of the city is currently a National Archaeological Reserve. Ruins of the Great and the Small Palace, the strong stone fortifications and the Great Basilica (c. 875), used both as a royal church and as a national patriarchal cathedral, can be seen in the reserve.
Preslav was the capital of the First Bulgarian Empire from 893 to 972 and one of the most important cities of medieval Southeastern Europe. The ruins of the city are situated in modern northeastern Bulgaria, some 20 kilometres southwest of the regional capital of Shumen, and are currently a national archaeological reserve.
The Madara Rider or Madara Horseman is an early medieval large rock relief carved on the Madara Plateau east of Shumen in northeastern Bulgaria, near the village of Madara. The monument is dated in the very late 7th, or more often very early 8th century, during the reign of Bulgar Khan Tervel. In 1979 became enlisted on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The relief depicts a majestic horseman 23 m (75 ft) above ground level in an almost vertical 100 m (328 ft)-high cliff. It’s of almost natural size. The horseman, facing right, is thrusting a spear into a lion lying at his horse’s feet, and on the left a dog is running after the horseman. The carving of the horseman halo, garments, as well the bird in front of the horseman face, are barely recognizable due to the erosion and bad condition of the monument.The relief is similar to the carbon images found in Saltovo, Soulek, Pliska and Veliki Preslav.
Stud “Kabiuk” was founded in 1864 and this year celebrates its 150th anniversary.Kabiuk is the earliest stud farm in Bulgaria. It was started in 1864 by Midhat Pasha, the Governor of the Danube Province, as a military stud farm for the Turkish army. The stud farm is on the Shumen Plato, 13 km northeast of Shumen; the average altitude is 194 m. Even in the first years of its operation, the number of horses reached about 1000.